As one of the most popular strategy game series of all-time, Stronghold has become a household name. one of the most beloved releases came in the early 2000s, when Stronghold: Crusader was released in 2002. Developed by Firefly Studios, the game was a massive success and tended to provide a much greater range of improvements, features, and opportunities compared to its predecessor, the original Stronghold.With the best part of 20 years since it was released, though, how does Stronghold: Crusader feel today?
Features of Stronghold Crusader PC Game
Similar in vein to many games of the era such as Age of Empires (at least in terms of aesthetic), Stronghold: Crusader was a game where you took part in the Middle East in the middle of the Crusades. You take charge of attacking or defending a stronghold, using your pre-built army to charge in, take over, or fend off the attacking forces. Alongside an enjoyable campaign feature, players could take part in single-player skirmishes that would allow for bespoke battles against the AI, offering greater opportunity to mess around and experiment with the gluttony of different units you could play with.
Stronghold Crusader Extreme PC Game Features:
An updated version of Crusader was released in 2008, though many still to this day prefer to play the classic castle sim original. Upon release, Stronghold: Crusader was met with largely positive responses. At the time it was praised for its graphics (though obviously dated by todays standards), and most found it to be an intriguing title that improved on more or less every part of the original game in terms of its style.
The game was well loved because it provided a simple way to enjoy either a siege as the attacker, or holding off your fort from being overtaken. The campaign was well-liked, too, with enough variety in the levels to help keep things interesting enough from level to level. The game itself also was rated because it provided a range of interesting Lords to pick from, all of which could provide a slightly different kind of experience compared to the others.
Stronghold: Crusader Setup Installer
For its time, Stronghold offered a move away from the general rinse-repeat of base building that was so common in RTS games of the era.
- For that reason, it tends to hold a pretty large place in the hearts of many gamers of the era who enjoys its more bombastic, aggressive style and stone.
Though it can feel a touch slow and dated today, for a release in 2002 it helped to add an extra layer of intrigue and invention. Given many strategy games since have followed the removal of traditional base building, too, this was an intriguing change.
- Easy to play, with variety in the units and factions to play as.
Engaging gameplay that often led to action instead of waiting around . Impressive graphics and playing style for the era. A little hard to play today on modern hardware. Not as modernised or as refreshed as recent Stronghold releases.
- Overall rating: 8.5.
A real-time strategy game for the PC, Stronghold Crusader lets you handle the conflicts that stretch back to the time of the Crusades. The demo version lets you taste the action before you choose to buy the full game.
- "Try before you buy" ensures you like the game before you invest money into it.
Video game reviewers have often compared Stronghold Crusader to Civilization or Age of Empires. Truth is, the game has more similarities to Age of Empires, because you have a real-time strategy game.
- Your job is to make sure that your armies go to the Middle East with full strength.
The game showcases everything from the First to the Third Crusade. You have to hold off the Muslims and stop conflict among your own people. For example, the Crusades were not all organized, and you have individual crusader states that you will need to keep in line.
- How do you do that?
To take control of the crusader states and fight back the Muslim armies, you will have to build strongholds in towns under your control and buy supplies.
- The campaigns will take you to historic sites like Jerusalem, Nicea and Antioch.
Stronghold Crusader boasts a game feature known as the Crusader Trail which hosts 50 missions that pit you against numerous opponents. With an interesting variety in characters like Richard the Lionheart, you also have some fictional characters like "The Rat."
This character is a boy raised as a peasant, but who later inherited money and land. Each of the characters have a rich backstory that has served to add more interesting points into the game. The gameplay itself is highly addictive and action-packed, but this is an older game, which means that the graphics are not as good as what they once were.
However, if you love the history about the Crusades, Stronghold Crusader will leave history buffs jumping up and down. What's more, you have a more interesting way of introducing history to friends and young children. They can play the game to learn a little about the history of the Crusades.
Steps to uninstall Stronghold: Crusader in Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000
You can also play in the historic battles that actually took place, and learn about some of the weapons of that time.
Steps to uninstall Stronghold: Crusader in Windows XP
- For example, you have trebuchets that can launch diseased cows over the wall to infect the people with diseases and flies.
- The economy and the warfare in the game have been equally balanced so that you have a good mix between the two.
- The game actually blends excellently between a simulation and an RTS-action game.
- The first Stronghold Crusader game is actually so good that a lot of the hardcore fans have argued that Firefly Studios, the developers of the game, have not been able to replicate it with their followup games.
- Interesting Fictional and Non-fictional Characters. The Campaign Trails are Based on Real History.
- You Can Play in Historic Battles. The Graphics are Outdated.
- Stronghold Crusader. Conquer your enemies in the time of the Crusades.
License:Shareware $19.99. Operating system:Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10.
Stronghold Crusader PC Game Overview
- Report incorrect info. Create a new empire and go on a crusade in a real-time strategy game.
- Build an army, collect resources, provide your citizens with food, shelter and low taxes and ensure them with safety during the First, Second and Third Crusades in the Middle East.
- There was a download of Stronghold Crusader 2.9 on the developer's website when we last checked.
- We cannot confirm if there is a free download of this software available.
- The most popular versions of the software 2.9, 2.2 and 1.5.
- The latest version of the software is supported on PCs running Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10, both 32 and 64-bit.
- We cannot guarantee that the program is safe to download as it will be downloaded from the developer's website.
- Before launching the program, check it with any free antivirus software.
- The program belongs to Games.
- Stronghold Crusader.exe, stronghold crusader.exe, Stronghold.exe, Stronghold-Crusader_11.exe or Stronghold-Crusader.exe are the common file names to indicate the Stronghold Crusader installer.
Stronghold Crusader Free Download
Steps to uninstall Stronghold: Crusader in Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista
The actual developer of the program is Firefly Studios.
Stronghold Crusader Free Download Features:
What is New in the Stronghold: Crusader Latest Version?
From the developer:. Make a journey to distant Arabian lands renowned for brave warriors and fearsome weaponry in Stronghold Crusader HD.
The highly anticipated sequel to the best-selling Stronghold, Crusader throws you into historic battles from the Crusades with fiendish AI opponents, new units, 4 historical campaigns and over 100 unique skirmish missions.